Nintendo Press release:
Nintendo Co., Ltd. (Minami-ward of Kyoto-city, President Satoru Iwata) will launch "Nintendo 3DS"(temp) during the fiscal year ending March 2011, on which games can be enjoyed with 3D effects without the need for any special glasses.
"Nintendo 3DS"(temp) is going to be the new portable game machine to succeed "Nintendo DS series", whose cumulative consolidated sales from Nintendo amounted to 125million units as of the end of December 2009, and will include backward compatibility so that the software for Nintendo DS series, including the ones for Nintendo DSi, can also be enjoyed.
We are planning to announce additional details at E3 show, which is scheduled to be held from June 15, 2010 at Los Angeles in the U.S.Wow, this will be an amazing device ones released and only 1 year from now! I'm thinking that Nintendo may in fact be heading in the same direction with the Wii since usually the portable and console have similar qualities that Nintendo likes to share between each other. I'm excited to see more at E3!
More details emerge:
- control stick instead of dpad
- improved wireless speed and battery life
- screen that is smaller than 4 inches
- timing on the announcement could be related to decreased software releases
- Nikkei expects release in second half of 2010
- "it is believed that the system will use a Sharp 3D LCD panel."
- this 3d tech is acheived by placing a small film on the screen, which is separated by a small space. The slight differences in the image creates the 3d effect
- software developers have been briefed on the system
- third party software at launch